Zhuhai Port: Interview with Security Guards Bin Hu 胡斌 and Weiren Huang 黄伟任 (C100)
Cinematographer: 刘井彬 Jingbin Liu
Duration: 00:10:27; Aspect Ratio: 1.778:1; Hue: 54.783; Saturation: 0.180; Lightness: 0.125; Volume: 0.107; Cuts per Minute: 0.096; Words per Minute: 73.012

Gate keeper
hunan provence guy
Local people
security guard
Zhuhai International Container Terminal, Gaolan

gate watch

Here are some simple questions. Are you local from here?
有几个简单的问题想问一下,你们是附近的人吗?

Nope.
不是的。

Where are you from?
你们是哪里的?

Hunan.
我们是湖南的。

Yes, I can tell from your accent. How about you?
哦,湖南的,你现在说话我听出来了。你呢?

I'm from Guangdong. I am a local.
我是广东的,本省的。

Which part of Guangdong?
你是广东哪里的?

Foyuan City.
广东佛元市。

Where exactly?
大概是哪里的?

Somewhere near Huizhou.
大概是惠州那边的人。

That's pretty far from here.
那好像离这里还有一点点远。

It's around 400 kilometers away.
最远的(地方)来这里,大概400多公里。

400 kilometers! How long have you been here?
400多公里。那你们来这里工作多久了?

Over a year. Yes, more than a year.
也有一年多了。一年半。

More than a year. How about you?
一年多了,你呢?

I have been working at the port around three years now.
在这个码头是三年多了。

What made you come here?
三年多了?那你们是为什么...像你从湖南过来,为什么会想到来珠海,来这个码头工作呢?

Here is the thing, a friend introduced me.
是这样的,是一个朋友介绍过来的。

A friend introduced you to come here for work?
你是朋友介绍过来的?

That's right.
是啊。

Yes.
是的,我也是朋友介绍过来的。

Do you need any training for this job? Like operation instructions?
像你们的工作,你们需要去训练去学习这里的规则吗?

We all did that.
这个都要的。

Do you need a quilification?
像这个登记什么的...

Everyone works at the port need to be trained. We know how to follow the command.
港口那些指示这些都要去培训的。

Do you know that, the commands from the port?
那些你们也会?就是港口的指示什么的。

Some people from the border gave lecture to us.
港口那些边检有时候会让我们去搞培训的。

Ok, you learned the from the border.
哦,就是边检会让你们去。

We have staff training as well.
有时候我们自己公司也要培训。

How many days you work a week?
那你们工作大概一个星期是工作多少天?

We work 8 hour per day.
我们一般是一天八小时。

8 hours a day. How many days? Six? Seven?
一天八小时然后...六天?七天?

We normally work 5 days a week. 8 hours a day.
这个一般都是按五天制八小时的。

Do you need to work overtime?
那需要加班多吗?

Sometimes.
有时候有加班。

Do you do shift? Like you work at night today and do a day shift tomorrow?
那像你们排班是,今天是夜班,那么明天就是白班?

If we are on the night shift, then next day we can take some time off in the morning.
我们如果今天是夜班,那么明天就是中班了。

So, you start working at noon, then do a day shift next day? Right?
中班就是比如说你下班就去休息,然后起来就是中班,然后再来一天就是早班?

We also do the middle shift.
也是中班的。

It's like two night shifts, two middle shifts, two day shifts and two days off.
就是两天两夜,两中,两早这样,之后就休息,休息两天。

So you work six days and have two days off, which mean you can have 6-8 days off every month?
六天工作休两天?那这样一个月算下来有六天到八天的休息。

That's right.
对,是的。

What do you do on the break time?
那你们休息的时候会做些什么?

Sometimes we need to work overtime because some colleague ask for leave, we have to replace their positions.
有时候公司会安排一天加班,省里有些事就要加班,人手请假那些要来补一下。

So you have to stand-in when someone's away.
就是有人休息,有人临急请假你们就要来顶一下。

That's right.
是的。

Some of the workers would play basketball after work. would you also like do some sport after work? Or you are just too tired to do that?
那像很多工人他们下班后会去打篮球,休息的时候会去打篮球,那你们休息的时候大多是去运动呢?还是太累了,真的需要休息?

Let the captain say.
班长说一下吧。

Here is the thing, people who work here are from different places, unlike other workers who live in the port dorm, we always go home directly after work.
我们业余活动一般现在是这样的,因为我们这里上班的人都比较散的,下班了都各回各的地方,因为住都不是住在一起的,因为厂里面有集体宿舍。

So you don't live in the dorm?
你们没有宿舍吗?

We don't, we rent flat at the village.
我们没有,都是自己在那边租房的。

Somewhere nearby.
在这附近还是...

It's like ten kilometers aways from here. There are always some leisure activities at the port, but we come here only for work. after work, we will all go home. Some people would go shopping with other colleagues, or do something else.
他们有十几公里左右。厂里面就有业余活动,我也知道,因为我进过厂(工作),但是我们这里因为人住的比较散,回去了就是下班之后就各回各的地方。也就是跟同事逛逛街,买买东西,或者出去玩一玩这样。

I see. What are the responsibilities for your job?
好的。那你们工作最主要要做的职责是哪方面?

When vehicles entering and exiting the port, we checked their entry pass, if they don't have a pass, we will ask for registration information.
主要是那个进出车流登记,记录好。进到那里不带证件,本身这个操作证、工作证不带,一般没有的话就登记。早上我们的本子那,没证件的就登记。

Yes, we also do patrol, inquiry and examination sort of those things. We are responsible to figure out why those people come to the port and what are they going to do at the port.
我们的一般在这里就是巡逻、盘问、检查,反正就是搞这些。问清楚、查清楚,然后就是晚上的巡逻。

The port company gave a training before we work.
这些在我们进来的那几天都要培训的,就进来做什么。我们做的工作在进(公司)的时候就培训过的。

What kind of things are not allowed to access the port area for example?
那比方说什么样的东西不允许进去呢?

Those inflammable and explosive goods and contraband stuff.
属于易燃易爆、或者违法的物品都是不允许进的了。

We search the vehicles to see if they carry those things.
我们检查车辆这些。

Yes, that's the main resposbility for us. Check the inflammable and explosive and contraband things.
主要是这些原因。你携带易燃易爆的,或者携带违禁物品,都不行的嘛。

Have you found something like that when you on duty?
那有没有检查到过一些这样的?

For this port... We haven't found anything forbidden yet. If some necessities need access to the port, like oil, we normally will receive a notification. They also need to apply a permission. We will check the permission.
这个码头目前为止...反正以前我也不知道,违禁物品和易燃易爆的一般都没什么,码头需要运什么油都会到海关那边去申请申办才能进匝的,有单过来的。他要是有易燃物品进来都会有申报单的。经过那些才会进匝的。

What's your main duty? What's the hardest job for you?
那我们工作最主要,就是最忙的时候都在做什么?最忙最辛苦的时候在做什么?

Sorry, I know get you.
我没听懂你的意思。

What's the worse part of your work? What make you feel tired?
就是这份工作最辛苦的点是在哪个方面?哪个方面的工作最辛苦最累?

There is no different between work to work. We just follow the rules and do our job. We can spare ourselves, right?
这个基本上都差不多,反正你的本职工作都要做到位。那你要把你自己本职工作做到位是吧?怎么要求就要怎么做,你不能偷工减料,

There is other thing Shaina wants to know. Like the other workers from the port, they got basic salary and commission. How about yours? What's your salary structure?
还有另一样,Shaina她比较关注的就是,像有些码头工人是按照底薪加提成这样的工资结构,那你们是只有底薪还是怎么样?

We are belong to the security company, we are not from the port company. We were appointed to work here.
我们是属于保安公司的,我们不属于码头,是委派到这里来的。

So it's outsourcing security service?
等于说是外包的?

Yes, outsourcing security service.
对的,我们是属于外包的。

Our salary counting by hours
(工资)是计小时的,多少钱一个小时。

Yes, the security company pay us.
我们是那边发钱给我们的,这个码头我们是外请的。

Ok that’s everything. Thank you for your time.
好,那大概就是这些了,辛苦了。
Pad.ma requires JavaScript.