Zhuhai Port: Interview with Field Operator Zedong Wang 王泽栋, on night shift (C100)
Cinematographer: 刘井彬 Jingbin Liu
Duration: 00:39:36; Aspect Ratio: 1.778:1; Hue: 93.358; Saturation: 0.081; Lightness: 0.079; Volume: 0.145; Cuts per Minute: 0.101; Words per Minute: 68.027

tea-break
Zhuhai International Container Terminal, Gaolan

It is still complicated, but we can deal with it simply. Can you tell me what you are going to do tonight?
虽然现在搞得这么复杂,但我们现在就简单的来聊一下,先跟我们说一下你今天晚上要做哪些事情呢?

Tonight, you just saw it
今天晚上...你刚才也看到了,首先要看一下有什么船,不过这一般要提前看,因为我们要知道自己今天晚上要干什么,因为上班之前我们有邮件,在家里就可以看到。所以看看有没有大船,100米以上的。在我们这里100米以上的也算大船了。所以就看一下100米以上的,来的时候会有人跟我们交班,交接的时候就说船最后到哪里,哪一些小船...我们100米以下的称为小船、模船嘛,有什么特殊情况,平时我们有时间就要巡一下整个码头,最主要就是跟一下船的专线,应该没什么其他的问题。因为一般晚上不出什么问题我们都很闲的,这里看看那里看看就行了。

Regarding your job duty, do you have to communicate with other departments?
对于你的工作来说,你跟那些部门其他的环节去对接?

Yes. Mostly with the Central Console, also bridge drivers from the Equipment Room as well as workers from the outsource company. That's the most of it.
对接最多的是中控,还有桥吊司机,他们属于机械室的,还有就是我们外包商工人,其他的话应该比较少。

You work tonight, how about tomorrow?
那你今天晚上上班,明天呢?

It's like this: if we have night shift today, then we'll have a day off tomorrow, and the next day, we'll have a day shift from 8.30am to 11.00pm. It's like three shifts with two groups working at the same time.
我们这个模式是今天上夜班,明天休息,第三天上一整天的白班,早上8点半到11点,三班两档这样子轮着,24小时。

You’re still young.
你比较年轻。

I worked here as a trainee for one year and now I've just become a formal member.
我是在这里实习的,实习了一年,刚转正不久。

Why did you have your internship here?
你是怎么想到来这里实习的?

The company was expanding the business one year ago and came to my school in Zhuhai city to recruit. My major is what they were looking for, and my teacher told my classmates and me to interview and I was recruited. Then I found this job not bad and kept doing it.
刚好那时候公司前年开始业务增多,然后到我们学校去招人,我们学校也是珠海的。我刚好是学这个专业的,老实说让我们几个去面试试试看,然后就招了进来。然后工作中觉得这份工作还可以,就一直做下去了。

I see. Do you like your job?
就一直做这个了?喜欢吗?

It's hard to say. You know, it's what I majored in so the job is quite easy for me, compared with others.
喜欢不喜欢这个很难说。因为自己对口专业,做起来对别人来说,我就比较容易上手了。

In other words, are you happy here? How do you feel everyday?
那换一个说法就是,你开心吗?就你每天上班的时候你心情好吗?

Yes, I am happy. I do not like to think of any unhappy things so I always keep an optimistic attitude.
就我个人来说我每天都很开心,因为我不喜欢想不开心的事,对每件事我都是笑着过的。

So generally speaking you like this job?
所以总体上说你是喜欢的。

Yes, I do.
嗯,算喜欢。

Since you started working here, have you found yourself changed?
那你一开始工作到现在,你感觉上会有什么样的变化?

I've got some special feelings about that. At the beginning, I needed to learn many things before I could do my job independently like tracking the liner. Actually, even now, we can't make decisions on our own. Some experienced workers have been working here for more than 10 years and even they need to consult others before taking action. At first, I just watched, learned and tried, seldom acting on my own. Gradually I made progress and now I can work on my own. You see, it has been a long process.
这个感悟比较特殊,一开始工作,我需要掌握很多东西,知道很多东西我们才能真正一个人去上岗,一个人去做,跟一些船。不过即使到现在我们有一些事情也不一定能自由的,因为像我们一些老员工在这里十几二十年,他们的经验很丰富的,但是要处理一些事情还是要跟大家一起商量才能处理。刚来的时候我基本上都是看着他们做事,自己很少做,就慢慢尝试做一些事情,到现在可以自己上班、自己值班,所以这过程还是比较长的,

So it's also a process of learning.
所以也可以算是一个学习的过程。

Yes, it is. This internship lasted one year, which was quite long.
对,学习的过程。我们实习的时间是一年,一年是很长的。

Generally speaking, your workload is quite light. So when is your busy time?
那你的工作可能平时会比较清闲,那忙起来的时候一般会是什么样的情况下?

Our busiest time is when the typhoon comes, as we need to guard against it. We must bundle all the empty containers in the tower. We have to go to the worksite, decide the containers to be bundled and the sequence, and then follow up. I was a lot busier when I first came, as I was not familiar with the workers and procedures. So whenever something happened, we needed to offer help, even though sometimes it was trivial matters.
我们最忙的时候可以说是台风的时候,防台,我们塔上面所有的集柜,也就是空箱,要全部绑匝,我们要到现场看,哪一些要绑,哪一些先绑哪一些后绑,要跟进。其实刚来的时候比现在忙很多,因为我们那些工人也不算很熟,对这些操作也不会很熟,所以经常出现一些事情要我们去解决,一些小事情都叫我们。

Could you give me an example?
比如说呢?

Like we told them where the containers should be placed, but they did it wrong. For domestic trade, in fact, we are responsible for unloading the containers so they call for our help. Because many were new-comers then, just like me, so we often made mistakes. When I was a green hand, our company just started the large-scale-counter business. As we were inexperienced in this filed, we had to attend the matter personally.
比如说有些柜的位置放哪里,他放错了。或者说,那个上面放错了位置,但是其实对于内贸来说,只要把它卸下来,柜是我们码头卸就行了,然后就会叫我们去。因为我们刚来,有一些也是跟我一样刚进来,什么都不懂,不熟,所以我们就经常跑上去这里出什么错,那里出什么错。刚来的时候我们公司是刚开始做这种大批量的货柜,有些事情是没经历过,所以很多要自己去干的。

Are you living on the dock?
那你是住在你们码头?

No, I live at the urban fringe, far away from the dock.
不是不是,住的比较远一点。算是城郊结合部那里。

Is it convenient to go to work?
那会不会上班不太方便?

Yes, we have regular shuttle buses every day.
这倒不会。公司有车接送,每个时间点都会有上下班接送。

How about your leisure activities?
那你除了上班以外会有哪些娱乐活动?

I joined in our company basketball team. At home, I contact my schoolfellows. We'd hang out sometimes, going to the KTV, playing basketball, that sort of stuff.
一个是我现在参加公司的篮球队,打打球,平常自己的话在家,有时候跟学校的一些人还有联系,就搞搞活动,去唱K,打球。

No dating?
不跟女朋友去约会?

Not yet, hhhh.
还没有,呵呵。

Now you've become a formal worker keep a stable job, will you find a girlfriend next?
那你工作从实习也转正了,那工作也比较稳定了,那下一步会不会打算谈恋爱?

Well, I haven't thought about it. But it is the time to do so. Considering my age, I should get married and have my own family in a few years.
自己目前还没有考虑。不过现在想也正常,因为十几岁了,过几年就成家立业了。

Do your parents urge you?
你们那会催你吗?

No, they are not worried and allow me to do what I want.
目前不会,因为我家父母对我都是比较放心的,就任我去做吧。

Do you have any siblings?
你在你家是第几个(孩子)?

I have a younger brother.
我跟我弟弟。

You family have got only two children, which is not a large number at your hometown, is it?
那你们家只有两个孩子,在你们那边不算多吧?就算是很少的是吗?

Actually, at my hometown, there are quite a few children in a family. However, at my generation they usually only have two. After all, it costs a lot to raise a child.
其实我们那边一般都是好几个孩子,我们这一代一般都是两个人,因为养孩子也是负担嘛。

Because people's attitudes have changed.
因为人们的观念会发生变化。

Yes, it's a gradual process. People have realized the hardship of life and they can't afford to raise many children.
会的。慢慢在变化吧,因为大家都知道现在生活也不易,生那么多个也养不起。

Let’s talk about basketball. Did you often play it at school?
那我们说一下篮球吧。之前你在学校的时候会不会打篮球?

Yes, I used to play it within the class, but not very well.
有。以前是班里,不过打的很一般。

What position did you play?
那你打什么位置呢?

Small forward.
小前锋。

How about your shooting average?
那命中率怎么样?

Not so good. I was backup and I only played when the leading players were taking a rest.
不怎么样,因为我是替补,所以一般都是帮忙,缓解一下主力队员的...让他们休息一下。

As you were not among the leading ones, did you enjoy the game?
那既然你不是主力队员,那你会比较享受打球的状态吗?

Yes, because I enjoyed the game itself although I was not good. So I cherished every chance of playing in the field.
会,因为本身自己喜欢,虽然自己的不是打得非常好的那种,所以每次有上场的机会都会很珍惜。珍惜自己能上场。

What do you think are the differences of getting along with your colleagues and with your fellow schoolmates?
跟同事相处起来,和在学校和同学相处起来会有什么不同?

The biggest difference is that, it’s quite easy to get along well with your schoolmates. Because, when you don't study, you just hang out with them and have fun. But it's a different story with colleagues. Due to our timetable, we don't have much time at home and we can only hang out after work. So it takes longer for us to get familiar with each other.
最大的不同应该是,学校里面除了学习之外就是玩,经常就出去玩,很容易就可能相处得很好。但同事不一样,我们除了工作上之外,因为我们这工作时间,所以自己在家的时间也是比较少的,所以跟他们出去玩的时间比较少,一般都在工作结束之后,所以一般要真熟起来的话还是要一段时间的。

Do you have any close workmates?
那你现在有哪几个比较熟悉的同事?

We four people of the same shift are close and also the fellows of the supervisor office. As for other people, I don't know them well, except my alumni.
像我们同一个班里的四个人比较熟一点,还有我们自己的督导室几个人都比较熟,其他人的话比较少吧。就只有那几个之前同一个学校出来的玩的比较好。

There are few female fellows at the port, is that so?
那在港口女同事很少?

That's true. I only know several female operators. Female workers are usually in charge of typing and working attendance, stuff like that. The Financial Department or HR Department have got the most women staff.
这个是。女同事的话操作方面就几个认识,一般就是办公室打单,还有就是考勤之类的。我们公司现在最多女士就是财务跟人事那边的人。

Are they treated well there?
那那边的女同事会比较受欢迎吗?

Maybe. I don't know much about it. I work on the worksite.
会吧,我跟那边不熟,因为我们这边在现场。

Are you from Guangdong Province?
你是来自广东的?

I'm from Shantou, Chaozhou-Shantou region, Guangdong Province.
广东汕头,潮汕地区的。

What’s the difference between your hometown and here?
说一下你家那边跟这边有哪些不同?

The eating habit is the most different. The food may share the same name but taste different. People at my hometown are particular about food but here, people just feed themselves with food. My hometown is famous for its Chaoshan Beef Ball, with which the beef balls here can't compare.
最大的不同是饮食习惯吧。我们那边跟这边吃的,可能叫同一样名字但(口感)不同。我们那边比较注重吃的,所以对吃的有很多讲究。但这边不同,这边大多数是为了填饱肚子,对于我们来说,但是他们这边也有他们特色的东西。像我们最出名的就是潮汕的牛肉丸,在那边吃牛肉丸跟在这边吃牛肉丸是完全两个概念的。

How many days do you work per week?
一般你工作是多少天?

7 hours per day and six days in total.
以一天七个工作时来说,大概工作六天吧。

So you have 7-hour workdays and 6 working days for one week.
就是按一天七个小时算,你有工作六天?

Roughly speaking, yes.
一天七个小时算吧,我们平均一个星期下来,六天,大概吧。

That's 42 hours for one week?
就是总数是42个小时一个星期?

It depends on the schedule. It may be below or above 42 hours, like 47 or 48 hours.
这个不一定,因为我们是排班下去了,但是一个星期多一点,有一个星期又少一点。可能47、8个钟吧。

Once I went past Chaozhou and then Shantou by train. I saw various ceramics factory one after another.
我坐火车经过潮州再经过汕头,在潮州那边过的时候就一个又一个的陶瓷厂,各种各样的...

That's Fengxi. Have you seen the mugs of Starbucks? On the label it shows that it’s made in Fengxi. I got one in Chengdu.
那是凤溪,你看过星巴克的杯子吗?你有看过它的标签吗?是潮州凤溪。我有买过,我在成都买的。

There's a town in Chaozhou where many ceramics factories are located.
潮州有个镇是特别多陶瓷厂的。

Indeed. My hometown has many factories of toy and underwear. There are many woolen sweater factories near my home.
有,我们那边好像是玩具,还有内衣。我家那边是做羊毛衫比较多的,

It's all about clothing.
反正是做衣服的。

Right.
对。

I know that place. It's in Chaonan District. We liked to go to the Qiaoxi Beef Store there. I found their beef inexpensive.
我知道那个,在潮南那边,我们每次去都很喜欢去那个桥西牛肉店。我觉得那边的牛肉非常便宜。

19号那天是有个篮球赛吗?
Is there a basketball game on the 19th of this month?

I'm not sure, I remember that there are games in the next two days.
不太记得了我记得明天、后天有。

They will take part in the basketball game tonight and President Chen said that it is within our Corporation.
今天晚上他们都去打了。听陈总说是集团内部的单位去打比赛。

There is also a game on Thursday. It will be held in Zhuhai International Port of Houwei. The competition is between the Gaoran Branch and Jiuzhou Branch. Although Jiuzhou Branch moved this year but the game will be held as usual.
星期四有个比赛。珠海国际后卫码头,我们有两个公司,我们是高冉的,他们是九州那边的,虽然搬了但是他们今年还是有个比赛。
Not really. It is pre-scheduled. The three-shift-and-two-group working system, remember?
不是,是安排的。就是刚才说的三班两倒。

So this is a game between brother branches.
这是一个兄弟公司的比赛。

Right.
对的。

Will you go back home tomorrow? You must be tired after work.
你明天回家吗?你明天下班回家会很累吧。

Yes. The night shift is indeed very exhausting. So sometimes we'll take a nap at night.
会很累,因为我们是夜班,所以有时候我们会偷懒睡一下觉。

It must be very tiring even after work at home. You have to sleep through the day off until night. Am I right?
那你其实下班回家还是很累的,那等于说你明天一天休息就只能在睡觉里过了?到晚上才能起来?

Not necessarily. Occasionally I've got things to do, like tomorrow I need to go downtown and have a physical examination, which is required by the commander position today. Tomorrow after work I will go home and sleep. I will go downtown if there's still some time after I get up. One day will pass like that.
看情况咯。我有事做比如明天我要跑一趟市区去体检。我们刚好今天指挥需要持证上岗那个证,要去体检。明天回去后可能马上睡觉,睡完觉起来有时间就过去。一天就这样过了。

It seems that it's good to work on the dock.
说起来在码头工作应该算是比较好的工作了。

It's relatively good on the dock.
单从码头来讲,我们这个岗位是还算可以,

Why? Because it's not very hard?
为什么?因为不是很辛苦?

The guys working at the Central Console are the busiest.
辛苦的话...码头最辛苦应该就是中控室,他们是最忙的。

When I called them yesterday morning and noon, they were so busy that they had to talk on the interphone while communicating with me on the phone.
我昨天上午、中午打电话他们都一手电话一手对讲机。

Yes, they need to hold their nerves all the time, and take immediate action once notified.
对,他们都绷紧了神经,不管什么事,你接到了通知就要处理。

And they must make fast response. If any link stops, they need to deal with it right away.
而且他们很快,马上就会给出一个反应,哪里一停了,然后他们要做什么马上交上来,

They are used to it.
他们都已经习惯了。

I think the hardest job is the director on board. They work on board, unloading the containers.
我以为最辛苦的是在船上面的指挥。船上面要卸开那个集装箱,在船上面工作的那些人。

What I said is only within our company. The laborers and directors on board do the hardest job and they are contracted. In the scope of the whole dock, the laborers are the most exhausted ones. Now we operate with a prerequisite that if they do something wrong we'll issue a violation writ against them. But usually we won't do so if they can solve the problem. As you can see, they do the toughest job and we don't have the heart to do so.
我刚才说的是但从我们公司来讲,他们那些船上的工人、指挥,都是我们承包商承包出去的,这不算我们公司的。是外包公司的,如果整个码头来讲工人是最辛苦的,干的活是最累的,因为我们现在是有个前提,如果他们做的不好,或者是有什么麻烦,我们是可以违规告票,就是他们违规操作我们可以开违规告票,但一般情况下是把问题解决了我们就不开了。因为他们工人做最辛苦的工作,不忍心做下去了。

Are they in the orange uniform?
那他们是那个橘黄色的制服?

Yes. And there is also the green uniform. They belong to different companies.
橘黄色是一种,还有一个是那个绿色。这种绿色是一个公司的,还有那个橘黄色是另外一个公司的。

So there are several companies here, right?
所以是有好几个不同的公司在?

Yes. Only in the command center are two companies, and there are two for the trailers and two for the factory vehicles. In sum, there are about 5 or 6 companies here.
是的,因为就这里,光是在这边做指挥所的就有两个公司,开拖车有两个公司,开厂车的有两个公司。我们这边应该有五六个公司在这边。

But you often chat together in this room, like the one I just interviewed, are you with the same company?
但是你们都会在这个房间里面聊天什么的。就像我们今天采访的那个,他跟你是一个公司吗?

No, he is with another one, the one with the green uniform, named Jinhuafu.
不是不是。他是另一个公司的,他是绿色(制服)的那个公司,他们公司叫金华富,

Is he a director?
他是负责指挥吗?

Yes, he is.
是的。

I thought you are with the same company as you are often together.
但我看你们都玩到一起,都不像是(不同公司)的。

Yes, we are close, and it’s convenient for work. For example, the on-site dispatching may be difficult if people in charge don't get along with the laborers. Someone may complain. But we get along well, so it's fine if they need to do some extra work.
对,我们玩的比较熟的还好一点,平时自己做事起来方便一点嘛,比如说码头那边,他们现场调度跟工人那边处的不是很好的话做事很难,你想想有人会发一下牢骚那样,像我们那样关系好的话,他们做点事也不会怎样。

They are willing to cooperate.
他们就愿意配合。

yes, they are.
对,愿意配合。

I just heard on the intercom channel from the interphone that the two people at the dragon crane seemed to be quarrelling. They sounded a bit harsh.
因为我听到对讲机里,你们是有对讲频道的吧?我听见龙吊那边有两个人好像要吵架那样,语气有点重了。

Because blue-collar workers often work with a loud voice and a violent temper. But they are just talking loudly and complaining, which brings no harm. They respect each other at heart. Sometimes I enjoy this kind of atmosphere.
因为在底层工作的人,说话很大声脾气也很大,但是他们也只是说话大声而已,牢骚一下,不会怎样的。他们心里都是很尊重对方的。其实有时候这种氛围我还是挺喜欢的。

Is it because most of them are male and it’s their way of doing things?
是不是因为很多都是男同事,解决都是这样解决的。

Yes. Usually they quarrel with someone today and forget about it tomorrow. No hard feelings.
对,很多都是吵一下,明天又好了。没有那么多心机。

Is it easy to find a girlfriend for people like you, working at the dock?
那像你在码头工作,会不会找女朋友比较容易。

If you have just graduated, then it’s not that hard. But after several years, it becomes much harder.
像刚从学校出来的话,不难也不容易,在学校待的那几年都找不到就没办法了。

Then why didn't you find one at school?
那为什么在学校里找不到一个女朋友呢?

I didn’t meet the right one.
没找到合适的。

How many girls have you ever chased before?
你追求过几个女生呢?

2 or 3 I guess, in my college life.
大学应该两到三个吧。

And you were rejected by all of them?
都被拒绝了?

Yes, in a polite way, lol
委婉的拒绝了,哈哈。

Sometimes when girls said no, they were just expecting more efforts from you.
其实有的时候未必她真的要拒绝,也许她希望你更主动的。

I met one, but I failed her.
有遇到一个是,不过让她失望了。

Do you take it seriously when dating?
那有没有把交女朋友当做一个重要的事情?

I used to. But my career matters most now. I won't stay long in the current company. It is hard to get promoted here so I will hunt for other jobs .
之前有,但现在先把自己事业搞好吧,因为现在可能这公司也不会呆那么久,因为毕竟我们这边升迁比较难,所以可能会找一些其他的工作。

But you've learned a lot here.
但是这个会给你很多的经验。

Yes, I've learned a lot from my working experience.
是,经验会带给我很多。

Will you look for similar jobs? Like working on the dock?
你是想找回同样类型的工作吗?就是码头类的。

If so, I will go back to Shantou.
如果我要找回码头类的可能我会回去家里,回汕头。

There are large docks in Shantou, right?
因为那边有大码头?

Yes, but smaller than here.
有,但是比这边小。

But I think there are more docks in Shantou.
但是比这边多,我感觉汕头也挺多码头的。

Zhuhai also has a lot small docks but are of small scale. It's the same in Shantou. But I can take care of my parents if I go back home.
你在珠海这边找码头也比较多,但比较小。那边大的码头也比较少,小的码头是比较多的,但是回去那边的话可以照顾父母。

I mean do you want to change to a different type of work?
我的意思是你换工作是想做回同样的?还是做回其他的?

Not sure yet. We are quite satisfied with this job in Zhuhai, comparing with people of the same educational background. We get properly paid and are not too busy. But young people need to work with drive.
我现在还没考虑好,这份工作在我们珠海,以我们同学历,我们这些人的条件来说,这份工作已经算很好了。工资不是很低,工作也不是很忙的那种。但是年轻人总该有点拼劲。

Most of you doing dispatching works are from Guangdong Province. But people in the outsourcing companies are migrant workers from other provinces, like what we see these days, right?
大多数像你们从事这种调度类的工作,一般都是省内的。但是一般像是外包公司的工作一般都是外地人,是这样吗?我们这几天接触的。

It's probably true. We have 2 groups of outsourcing workers…more than 2 groups. One group is local, from Wuhua and Meizhou city. Then they hired numbers of people from other places and we still call them "Wuhua" for there were so many people from Wuhua at first. We even name the dock company as "Wuhua". The other group is from Hunan province. That foreman is from Hunan and his brother is a boss of the company there. So, there are a large number of workers from Hunan. And we have a fleet from the northern part of China. They like eating noodles and bread.
你们这几天接触的可能情况是有的,然后我们像外包工人的话有两批...不止两批,有一批是来自本地的,他们建公司的时候大多数来自五华,是梅州那边的。后面他们招了很多人,又有很多其他地方来的人,因为开始他们有很多五华人,所以我们称他们为五华。就把码头公司称为五华。还有一批人是来自湖南的,那个班长就是湖南的,他的哥哥就是湖南这边公司的老总,所以这边很多都是湖南那边一起过来的。还有一个是,这边有个车队,都是北方来的,看他们吃饭都是吃面,面包.

Actually the hierarchy is headed by a contractor.
其实这个结构更像是一个工头...

Yes, and he will take a group of people from his hometown with him.
对,这个工头来自哪里,他就带一批人过来。

He came with 3 or 5 people at first. But later on, his relatives and neighbors all came for a job. So the workers are mostly from the same place as the contractor. There is no fixed type of job for them.
他可能来的时候只有三五个,后来就是亲戚、邻居要找工作就都来了,所以这里面更多像是工头来自哪里,人就来自哪里。所以也没有绝对的什么类型的工作。

Many dispatchers and drivers are locals and are from Guangdong Province. They settled down here and then found this job. During the port-opening period, at first they were regarded as migrants not natives. Gradually they settled down, got registered with local identity and became natives here.
像我们这些调度、司机,大多数是本地和广东省内的,他们都是定居然后找到这份工作。码头开港的时候,那时候还算是外地人,不是本地人,但他们做着做着已经留下来了,固定在那里做了,所以他们会留在那里定居,在这里装户口。

So in this cases we can see groups of people from different places. Can you distinguish their accent and know where they are from?
所以更多是这种情况才会有一帮帮人,因为我看他们有时候说普通话是带口音的,能听的出他们是来自哪里的吗?

Sometimes.
有些是能听出来的。

Most machine operators are from nearby places.
操纵机械的很多都是这附近的。

Yes.
是很多。

Do we have any fellows from Chaozhou or Shantou City at the port?
那我们港口有没有很多潮汕这边过来的?

I barely meet any from these two cities these years. It is said that a few years ago, when the port was just opened, there were seven or eight managers from that region. 90% of the management were from there. Many fellows from Chaozhou-Shantou region come here for work. I meet fewer of them now. Maybe later there will be more. We may hire several interns from that region in the future.
这几年我遇到比较少,但是听他们说这几年刚开港的时候这里有七八个经理都是潮汕人。九成的领导都是潮汕人,有很多潮汕人都会来这边工作的。现在我遇到的少了,可能以后会多一点吧,可能我们的下一批,师弟、实习生就有好几个。

Will they come to work here if they have a choice?
他们有机会会来这里吗?

They flooded out of that region in the past. Now they have gone back.
潮汕那边之前很大批量的往外,现在都流回家了。

Shantou is similar to Guangzhou and Zhuhai, which are prosperous and beautiful. But I prefer it to Guangzhou for its good environment along the coast.
汕头在我看来它和广州珠海没什么分别,也很繁华很漂亮,因为沿海我觉得它环境比广州好。

Its environment must be better than that of Guangzhou. But it is polluted by people's bad behavior. Our hometown is the Special Econonic Zone after the reform and opening up and concentrate on economic development without dealing with pollution. Shantou's pollution is relatively serious compared with elsewhere in Guangdong. On the contrary, Zhuhai is environment-oriented and I prefer Zhuhai with its agreeable developing environment.
环境方面肯定比广州好,但是我们那边人习惯不是特别好,所以导致现在污染(严重)。改革开放我们是特区,那个时候以发展为主也没有考虑污染问题,那边污染在广东算是比较严重。但珠海就是以环境为主,所以我还是挺喜欢珠海这个发展环境。

But it is odd I don't get diarrhea or feel sick in Shantou.
但是很奇怪我在汕头我也没有拉肚子什么的。

Because coastal waters are not seriously polluted. Instead, Shantou suffers severe land pollution. You can see that the river turned black out of pollution.
不是的,近海的污染也不严重,土地污染比较严重,你能看到那些河流都是黑的,

Yes, I see quite a few factories nearby and they post a lot of...
对,而且我也看见挺多工厂,贴了很多那些...

Zhuhai has numbers of factories, but less supply of goods, so many of our docks serve as transfer stations. Shantou enjoys rich supply of goods, so products there can be shipped directly from the port. But there are less liners in Shantou, so I heard some products are made in Yantian Port of Shenzhen and batches of goods from Shantou are transported to Shenzhen to be exported.
我们那边工厂多,其实货源的话...珠海货源少,所以我们码头大部分都是中转的,汕头的话货源多,所以汕头很多港口都是直接发货的。但是那边航线少,所以我是听一些在深圳盐田那边做的,汕头那边很多货都是运到深圳去出口。

Because Shantou has less liners and it's not far from Shenzhen.
因为它航线少,而且其实也没多远。

Yes, it just takes five or six hours to get there.
对,就五六个钟头。
Pad.ma requires JavaScript.