Zhuhai Port: Interview with Field Operator Wuyi Lin 林武艺 (5D)
Cinematographer: 方之予 Zhiyu Fang
Duration: 00:33:07; Aspect Ratio: 1.778:1; Hue: 64.619; Saturation: 0.068; Lightness: 0.025; Volume: 0.203; Cuts per Minute: 0.664; Words per Minute: 91.710

tea-break
Zhuhai International Container Terminal, Gaolan

(In Cantonese) That's mine.
(粤语)那个我的。

(In Cantonese) Check who's there.
(粤语)看看在谁那里。

rest room

He'll come in later.
等下他会再进来。

To moor... means to anchor?
锚定...锚定就是抛锚吗?

Yes. Right over there.
对对,在外面这里。

This is where we anchor. If ships cannot dock, they have to stop there and anchor waiting.
这里就是抛锚的地方,也就是说有大船来进不来的时候,这边靠不了码头的时候,就会在那里等,它就会停在那里抛锚,抛锚在那里等。

Waiting to dock?
然后等船把它靠进来?

Right. Ships anchor and wait before docking.
对,等这些船做完了然后再进去。

The dock allows only one ship to dock at a time.
它一下只能一条船进来嘛。

I see. Two ships cannot meet, can they?
喔,它不能会船。

No, they can't.
对,它不能会船的。

It is dangerous for them to meet.
很危险的,会船。

So the second ship can dock only after the first ship has left?
等港口里的船走了它再进来?

Yes.
对。

How can we drive here from the railway station? Do we need to wait till other cars leave?
这边到火车站有的时候坐车进来怎么样,要等其他的车走了才能进来?

由于这个船水深得比较深,有十几米,它只能环到那里,边上的小船可以走,但是大船就不行。到深水区就那么一点点。

Where is the coming ship from?
等会儿来那船是哪里的船?

Domestic.
国内的。

We want to shoot that ship, too.
我们待会儿还想出去拍一下那个船。

Since that this ship is large and that it stretch more than 10 meters into the water, it can only go to that place. Small ships can go further while large ships cannot because the deep water area is limited..].

...this is another task. Which is to say, these four tasks were done together.
……这场是另外的。就是说,我们四单一起。

This is from my office.
这是我办公室的那台。

I am not looking for this one.
那个不是这个啊。

Is it?
是它吗?

Yes, No.1216.
对对对,1216的。

Why don't you check and stick a label on it?
干嘛你们都不审的呢,连标签纸都不贴上去。

Please print more labels for us the next time.
那你下次再打给我们。

It is the one. You'd better label it so that we could...
是这个。要贴一下到时候好……

(In Cantonese) Check that one.
(粤语)你看看那个是多少?

You should have labelled your computer, shouldn't you?
你那个电脑应该有标签了吧?

B00061.
B00061。

61, right?
61是吧?

51 or 61?
51还是61啊?

Look more carefully.
你再看清楚一点。

Only the computer?
就看电脑行吗?

We won't take this. This one.
这个不拿了。这个这个。

Check the body of the interphone. Open it first. Right.
看下你的机身吧。打开它,对。

Let me check your list first to see if it is on the list.
你给我看一下有没有这个先。

I got a lot on the list, OK?
我有很多好不好。

I know. So you'll have to... This one is interphone, too.
我知道。所以你要……这个还是对讲机来的。

Still interphone?
还是对讲机啊?

Yes!
对对对。

Tell me the asset number, no, the interphone number first.
你先把你的资产编号,不,机身码告诉我。

This is not yours. We bought it this year.
这个你原来没给的,今年买的。

You bought it this year?
今年买的啊?

Another one is not yours, either.
我另外还有一个你应该也没有的。

It's OK. You tell me the interphone number first. Have a look. Is it the one?
没关系你先把机身码调出来。看下这个是它吧?

This one is handheld. What about this one?
这是手持的哈。这台咧?

Yes, this one is also handheld.
对对对,还有这台。

This one...
这台也……

It is the same.
还是这台机。

16983, right?
16983是吧?

Is this one?
是它吧?

It is. Do you use it often?
是它是它。你这个会不会移来移去的?

Probable.
有可能哦。

Then I'll allocate them to your department.
那还是就挂你们督导下面就好啦?

That's no problem.
挂在我这里没错的。

What about these two?
还有这两台呢?

(In Cantonese) This one is...
(粤语)这台是……

(In Cantonese) A Gui, is this yours?
(粤语)阿贵,这个是你的吗?

(In Cantonese) Yes!
(粤语)是!

This one is not XXX.
这个不是XXX的。

No. 350, right?
对,350是吧?

(In Cantonese) Where is A Gui's interphone?
(粤语)那谁?小贵那台?

We might not be able to find you (without the interphone). Are you going to bring them with you? Will you bring them with you later?
你到时候人家找不到你的。你们要带走是不是?你等下会带走吗?

Who's interphone? (In Cantonese) Where is A Long's interphone?
这是谁的?(粤语)阿龙那台呢?

You'll leave it here or you'll bring it with you?
还是你要留在这里?你等一下会带走吗?

I'll bring it with me.
我会带走啊。

The one you can bring with you is in the Security Department. It is not here.
你会带走那台就是在安全部那里,不在我们这里。

XXX
XXX

XXX
XXX

(In Cantonese) Please help yourself to a cup of tea. That one is yours.
(粤语)喝茶吧。XX那杯啊。

(In English) My friend.
(英语)我朋友。

(In English) What does he do in the port?
(英语)他们在港口里做什么工作?

(In Cantonese) What did she said?
(粤语)她说什么啊?

(In Cantonese) She said what do they do. They operate the bridge crane.
(粤语)他们做什么?做桥吊的。

(In Cantonese) We need an interpreter.
(粤语)要翻译才行啊,找个翻译。

(In Cantonese) Neither could I understand English, bro.
(粤语)我也不会啊,兄弟。

(In Cantonese) Stupid! What did you learn from class? You can't understand such an easy question?
(粤语)你个混蛋,读的什么书啊?这么简单的问题都听不明白。

(In Cantonese) They got an interpreter. He is interpreter, too. We didn't receive much education so we cannot understand.
(粤语)他们有翻译的人。那个也是翻译的人。你们都听不懂,文化水平低。

(In Cantonese) What about asking him to interview you on how to trigger accident?
(粤语)我叫他采访一下你如何发生意外好吗?

(In Cantonese) You can begin to talk. "leader".
(粤语)讲话啊,“领导”。

(In Cantonese) XXXX. I saw a program from somewhere. It is funny. What did it say? It talks about somepeople speaking a non-standard Mandarin with a Hakka accent. Anyway, it is so funny.
(粤语)XXXX。今天那篇报道是哪里发出来的?很好笑的,讲什么来着,说普通话不准,又带了一点点客家音,总之讲那些东西很搞笑的。

(In Cantonese) These two cups of tea is for you.
(粤语)那两杯茶是给你们的。

OK, thank you.
好,谢谢。

Please speak 12345.
说一下12345。

12345...
12345。

Excuse me, is the interphone too loud?
那个,对讲机会不会太大声?

The sound of interphone...
那个对讲机声音.……

(In Cantonese) Turn if off!
(粤语)关了它!

You can turn down its volumn.
可以关小一点点。

...It is a kind of effect.
……是那个效果来的。

(In Cantonese) Which channel is your interphone on?
(粤语)你那个几频啊?

It is obvious that my voice couldn't be heard at all while your voice is very clear even if you didn't speak loudly.
特别明显的是我的声音基本上是听不到的,而你的声音,你刚才也没有很大声讲,但是说起来很清晰。

The microphone has certain direction.
它是有方向的这个麦。

Yes!
对对对对。

It is not in the screen now.
它现在没有入画。

We can begin if you are ready.
准备好了我们就可以开始了。

(In Cantonese) Let the "leader" sit here first.
(粤语)让“领导”先坐过来。

...at night? We change it (the clothes). It is the same when we are having a break.
……(衣服)晚上啊,换掉啦。休息的时候一样的嘛。

(In English) So we can start. (In Chinese) Let's start.
(英语)所以我们可以开始了。(中文)可以开始咯。

(In English) I want to begin by asking about the basketball team. Does it happen after work? So how ofen do they play? And is it one game of friends, or do many people come and go?
(英语)我想先问一下篮球队的事情。他们是下班之后就开始打篮球吗?他们隔多久打一次篮球?是朋友之间的游戏,还是轮流打的比赛?

What language should I use?
用什么话说好呢?

As you like.
你喜欢。

(In Cantonese)
(粤语)XX话啦。

I can understand.
我都听得懂。

We can understand Cantonese.
讲广东话都听得懂。

Cantonese? We can speak more fluently in Cantonese.
广东话啊?广东话讲得比较流畅一点。

OK, then Cantonese. Yes. No problem.
行,那就广东话啊。对啊。没问题,没问题。

You can understand Cantonese, too?
广东话你也听得懂?

Almost. I have lived in Guangzhou for four years.
我差不多,我来广州也四年了。

I can totally understand. It's OK. Well... you played basketball yesterday, right? So you are playing for...
我听得懂,没事。那个……什么……你昨天有在打篮球啊?你们打篮球是……?

Just for fun.
在玩的,没事。

Just for fun?
是自己玩是吧?

Yes.
玩。

Do you have a game? I heard another player said...
你们有比赛吗?我昨天听另一位说……

They have a game within their company.
他们公司有比赛。

Within their company? So you don't participate in?
他们公司有比赛?然后你不参加?

No.
不参加。

Do everyone who played basketball work here?
昨天参加的人都是在这里工作吗?

Well, the young man you just saw...
诶,那个年轻人,刚刚那个。

He went out. Did he play yesterday? Do you often play basketball after work?
出去了。他也有(参加)?你们经常下班都会打球吗?

(In Cantonese) Sometimes.
(粤语)有时吧。

I see. Yesterday I saw General Manager Chen and he seems to be professional like a coach.
哦,昨天我看陈总好像很专业,教练那样子。

He is more professional (than us).
那个是比较专业吧。

The basketball court nearby is like a professional one.
我看隔壁就好像是一个正规的篮球场。

That guy is the winner of Zhuhai javelin throwing competition.
那个人是珠海市标枪第一名的嘛。

Are you locally from Gaolan?
你是高栏这里的本地人吗?

(In Cantonese) Yes, I am.
(粤语)对我是本地人。

Right? It's OK that you change your dialect during the conversation.
你是本地人是吧?没关系你中途换语言啊什么的都没关系的。

(In Cantonese) In order to speak naturally.
(粤语)为了说得自然。

So... how long have you been working at the dock?
然后那个……你在这里工作多久啦,在码头?

(In Cantonese) Several years.
(粤语)我工作比较……实际在码头……也有几年了。

Several years? No more than 10 years?
都有几年?有没有十年?

(In Cantonese) Yes. But they have been working for over 10 years.
(粤语)我没有,他们有。

They do?
他们有十年,你没有十年?

(In Cantonese) Every one of them has been working for over 10 years.
(粤语)他们个个都十几年了。

Why do you want to work at the dock?
那你怎么会想到要来码头工作?

Because it is close to my home.
因为来这里离家里近嘛。

Close to your home? Hah. So what did your family or local people in Gaolan do generally?
离家里近?哈哈。那原来家里就是高栏这个地方本身大约都是做些什么的?

(In Cantonese) Mostly fishermen.
(粤语)以前高栏这个地方主要是渔民。

Fishermen? Do fishing?
渔民?主要是捕鱼?

(In Cantonese) Right. This area was not open to road traffic until 1992. It used to be an island.
(粤语)对。以前都是92年才通车嘛。之前都是一个海岛的。

An island? And later it is transferred into a peninsula?
之前都是一个海岛?后来把它填成了一个半岛,现在是一个半岛?

(In Cantonese) Yes.
(粤语)是。

It used to be island. So did you applied this job by yourself or you got this job through friends' recommendation?
原来是一个岛。然后,你做这份工作你是自己走过来应聘说我想在这里工作,还是朋友推荐之类的?

(In Cantonese) Eh... Someone from Gaolan used to work here and they tole me that there was a job opportunity. Then I came here to work.
(粤语)呃……因为高栏之前有人在这里工作,像他们,他们说这里要招工,所以就叫我过来了。

You mean through friends' recommendation, right? Well, did you receive any training before you work as a commander?
就是等于说是朋友说这里招人啦,然后就过来啦?诶对了,你做的那个手势的指挥的工作是需要训练的吗?

(In Cantonese) Yes, I did.
(粤语)要训练的。

Did you work as a commander as soon as you came here to work?
就你一来到第一个就开始做那个?

(In Cantonese) Nope. Some veteran would teach us how to make the signals.
(粤语)不是。他们会在现场,那些领导会在现场,培训我们应该要怎么做。

So you got someone to teach you?
哦,就是有人培训要怎么做的?

Then you work as a commander all the time?
那你就是一直都在做这个指挥的工作?

All the time.
一直都在做指挥。

(In English) What did he say?
(英语)他说了什么?

(In Cantonese) ...they are talking about the game.
(粤语)……他们说打比赛嘛。

Do you have any other friends playing basketball with you yesterday to recommend so that we can also interview them?
你有没有什么其他的,就是昨天也在,然后我们可以见一下面什么的,就是昨天也在篮球场的?

(In Cantonese) What is it for? What are you going to ask them?
(粤语)做什么呢?知道了然后要做什么呢?你要说什么?

I am just asking if you know someone we saw yesterday that we can interview them or shoot the scene of their working process.
就是昨天打球的,有没有其他的人是在这里工作的,然后我们可以见一下什么的?或者拍下他们工作的一些东西。

(In Cantonese) Well, it's OK.
(粤语)啊,可以的啊。

OK? (In English) So how about we go back to the questions?
可以的是吧?(英语)我们先问之前的那些问题怎么样?

(In English) Yes.
好。

I also want to ask that, as I don't know how old are you, does the dock appear after you were born?
然后另外就是,我不知道您大概年龄多少啦,但是我觉得您出生的时候还是没有这个码头的,是吧?

(In Cantonese) I am over 30 years old.
(粤语)我三十多啦。

Well, how should I ask this question? Does the dock influence this area significantly, especially for Gaolan or its neighborhood as it is an island before?
然后,我应该怎么问这个问题呢。你觉得这个码头对对于这个地方的改变大吗?就是对于高栏这个地方,或者这周边,就它原来是一个岛。

(In Cantonese) In terms of economy, it is very important.
(粤语)对经济来说,码头对这一带经济影响很重要。

What else changes would you say? For instance, some changes that you can easily feel, like...
然后,有没其他什么变化?比如说你们比较容易感受到的一些变化像是……

(In Cantonese) I think the factories or something else is quite good since there is a dock.
(粤语)例如像厂房啊各方面啊都做得挺好的,就是因为有了一个港口嘛。

Just because of the appearance of the dock? Then what about the transportation?
就是因为有了一个港口?然后,交通?

(In Cantonese) It's good.
(粤语)交通啊各方面都不错。

I believe the transportation is much better. As it used to be an island, it had only boats. And now it has roads and other facilities. Does it cause any changes to the life here? I am not specifically talking about your life as I am sure that your life must be changed a lot because you got a job after the dock is built. I mean, more precisely, the local people.
交通就比以前方便了。就是说它以前是个岛,应该有船什么的,然后现在就有路啊什么的。对于生活上有没有什么变化?比如说,我指的不是你哈,你在这里工作肯定有变化,比如说像是对于本地的人。

(In Cantonese) As for local people, I don't think there is any significant change.
(粤语)其实对本地人来说变化不大,都差不多。

No significant changes? But people here still do the fishing? Are there still any fishermen?
都差不多?但现在这里还有人捕鱼吗?还有渔民吗?

(In Cantonese) Yes. The fishermen all live on the opposite site.
(粤语)有啊,对面全部都是渔民。

They are all fishermen?
对面那边全都还是渔民?

(In Cantonese) They are all fisherman from Gaolan Cun.
(粤语)都是我们高栏村几条村的渔民。

Is the fishing abyssal or neritic?
那这边捕鱼是远海的还是近海的?

(In Cantonese) Neritic.
(粤语)近海的。

Neritic? Mostly neritic?
近海的?大多数是近海的?

(In Cantonese) All the fishermen live on that island.
(粤语)全部渔民都在那个岛上。

All live on that island? Not going anywhere far?
都在这个岛附近,不会走太远?

(In Cantonese) Not going anywhere. The farthest place they'll go is Hebao Island.
(粤语)不会走远。最远走到荷包岛而已。

Hebao Island? I think it is not so far?
最远去到荷包岛而已?荷包岛好像离这里不是很远?

(In Cantonese) You can see it from here.
(粤语)一眼就能望到。

That one?
就是看到的那个?

Yes.
嗯。

(In English) Do you ask what he does? And how long has he worked?
(英语)你问了他具体做什么工作吗?他工作多久了?

(In English) He just said a couple of years.
(英语)他说工作几年了。

(In English) He's from Gaolan Cun as he said?
(英语)他说他是高栏村的?

(In English) He's from Gaolan Cun. They used to be a ... like a ... they are not farmer. They fish. They are fishermen. They have boats and they will go out to fish, but not too far.
(英语)他是高栏村的。他们以前是……就不是农民。他们以前捕鱼,是渔民。他们有船,会出海捕鱼,但不会去太远。

(In English) So has the Zhuhai port affected the fishing? Once the port came, the fishing changed?
(英语)珠海港对他们的捕鱼有影响吗?是不是港口一建起来就影响了他们的渔业?

(In English) Yeah, I asked them, but he has already told me that they are still fishing.
(英语)我问过了,但他说没什么影响。

(In English) They're still fishing? But he doesn't fish?
(英语)他们还在捕鱼?但他本人就不是渔民了?

(In English) Do you have other questions?
(英语)你还有别的问题吗?

(In English) Does he like his work?
(英语)他喜欢他的工作吗?

Do you like your job?
你喜欢你的工作吗?

(In Cantonese) Of course, or I'll run 9 blocks away.
(粤语)喜欢啊。不喜欢的话我早就逃到九条街那么远。

(In English) He just said if he doesn't like it he will run 9 miles away.
(英语)他说如果他不喜欢的话就会逃到九公里那么远了。

(In English) I just wonder if he is local? Does he know the history of the port and the area? Like, how the port came up, how they build the port, does the port change the economy of Zhuhai?
(英语)我想问他是不是本地人?他知道这个港口和这个地方的历史吗?比如说港口是怎么建起来,港口的出现是否改变了珠海的经济?

She also wants to know that how this land came up. Is it due to the earth-filling or through requisition of land?
她还有一个想知道就是当时起这个港口的时候这个土地是填海填出来的呢还是说有一部分是征地征过来的?

(In Cantonese) Most were filled.
(粤语)绝大部分都是填海填出来的。

Most were filled? Filled an island into a peninsula?
大部分都是填海填出来的?把一个岛填成了一个半岛?

(In Cantonese) No. Two third of XXX is filled. There used to be a mountain beside the road and the building. And later they dug the mountain and filled it to the sea.
(粤语)不是不是,主要是全部的XX啊,XX啊,XX的三分之二的地都是填出来的。之前在公路边还有那栋楼那边之前是一座山,挖了些山,然后再填出来。

So the land is from the mountain instead of the sea?
挖了山填出来而不是海底抽的?

(In Cantonese) No. Can you see the mountain? The ring road is filled from the mountain beside it.
(粤语)不是不是。你看到那些山没有?就是环岛路那里的,环岛路那里就全部都是挖出来的(山填成的)。

Which is to say, the requisition of the original land only make up a small part of port construction?
等于说实际上用了本身的土地是很少的?

This land used to be a beach.
本来就是一个沙滩。

A beach without anything?
本来就是一个沙滩?什么都没有?

With some pine tree in it.
沙滩里面就是种了那些松树。

Pine tree planted in the beach?
种了松树?沙滩里面种了松树?

The beach belonged to Shabaishi Cun originally. Later it was sold.
这个沙滩原本就是我们沙白石村的嘛,后来就卖出去了。

I see. So most of the land are filled?
喔,这样,然后大部分土地还是填海出来的?

(In Cantonese) There used to be a sand surface (road).
(粤语)以前有条沙面的嘛。

(In Cantonese) After the road was constructed, the life quality of local people was higher. XXX, it was totally different.
(粤语)那条路通了之后,应该来说当地的人生活水平是有所提高的。XXX,和以前不一样了。

She said this place is very friendly as everyone passes by will come to have a chat hand have a cup of tea when they are having a break.
她说这里很好,然后你们在这里冲茶的时候感觉很友好。觉得这个空间也很好,就是每个人都会过来聊一下天,然后在休息的时候,就这个小房子。

(In English) Does he stay here or does he go home after work?
(英语)他下班之后住在港口还是回家?

Do you stay here or go home after work? But as I observe, here is not so muay dormitories.
你下班之后是住在家里还是住在这边?不过我看这里好像很少宿舍。

(In Cantonese) I go home after work.
(粤语)下班之后都是回家的。

Go home? But your home is nearby, right?
都是回家的?但家就在这附近?

(In Cantonese) Just behind the mountains.
(粤语)就在山后面。

Behind the mountains?
山后面?

Further behind.
背后的背后。

Further behind? (laugh)
山背后的背后(笑)。

(In Cantonese) Just behind the mountains.
(粤语)就在山后面。

Do you go to work by car or by bus?
然后你是开车还是坐班车?

(In Cantonese) I drive my motorcycle home.
(粤语)开摩托车回去。

You ride your motorcycle home? (In English) He rides his motorcycle home. His home is just like over the mountain.
开摩托车回去?(英语)他骑摩托车回去,他家就在山背后。

(In English) So he doesn't live here? He went home?
(英语)所以他不住在这儿?他下班回家?

(In English) He went home because it is very close. The reason why he want to work here is (that it is) very close (to his home).
(英语)他家很近,所以他回家。他来这边工作也是因为离家近。

(In English) Is that true for other workers? Are they mostly from this area or are they from Hunan and other places?
(英语)其他人也是吗?他们大部分是本地人还是外来工?

I also want to ask that if most workers are local, or they come from other places?
还有,其他在这里工作的人大多也是来自于这里附近还是说有外来员工,从外地来的?

(In Cantonese) Both. They come from all over China.
(粤语)五花八门什么都有。

But most of them...?
但大部分呢?

(In Cantonese) Well, it depends. Generally speaking, workers from subcontracting company or main contractors are usually local.
(粤语)大部分都是,怎么说呢,以分包和总包、中包来说呢,都是珠海这一带的。

They are usually local, right?
珠海这一带的多?

(In Cantonese) Yes. They are locally from Zhuhai. In terms of workers from outsourcing companies, they mostly come from other provinces, such as Hunan, Sichuan.
(粤语)对,他们也是珠海这一带的。但是外包单位来说呢,都是外地来的多。湖南啊,四川啊,都有。

(In English) He said, most people are from Zhuhai. There are also some other people working here, but they are from other places, maybe Hunan, maybe Sichuan. But I think the workers work(ing) on the ship, they just work on the ship. They did not go anywhere else. They don't speak Cantonese...XXX
都有?这么远跑过来这边。(英语)

(In English) So now we are waiting for the ship to come?
(英语)现在我们在等船来吗?

(In English) Yes. But the ship still...
(英语)是的,但船还……

(In English) So...when did these workers start? Because they have been waiting for the ship for so many hours. No, no, they are working shift. Say he works 8 hours, from 8 to 6, or 8 to 4. But when will these workers start? Since ships are getting delayed.
(英语)那……他们什么时候开始工作呢?他们已经等这艘船等了好几个小时了。他们不是轮班制吗?比如说他工作八小时,早八晚六,或晚六早四,但他们什么时候才开始工作呢?因为船也延误了。

XXX
XXX

(In Cantonese) That's because you are not skillful enough.
(粤语)技术不够高不就这样咯。

XXX
XXX

(In Cantonese) You'll suffer if you don't listen to the commander as the signal light doesn't work. You are doomed to suffer if you do so. Am I right?
(粤语)你不听指挥,指挥灯又不灵光,那你不就遭殃咯?我看你这样做肯定会遭殃的。你说对不对?

(In Cantonese) It's no big deal to suffer. Or I'll...
(粤语)遭殃没关系,免得又XXX

(In Cantonese) I think you are no difference. Sometimes you are the same.
(粤语)我看你没什么差别,有时候也一样。

(In Cantonese) XXX, if it falls down when XXX, then the body will be crashed into something you cannot recognize. XXX...
(粤语)XXX,万一XX的时候跌了下来,那就真是出人命也认不清尸体了。XXX

You also work shift, even if you are not the crane operator?
你们也是轮班?就是你们不是操作起重机的也都是轮班的?

(In Cantonese) I cannot hear you. He speaks louder than you.
(粤语)听不到,他比你更大声。

(Laugh) OK. So as a commander, you still need to work shift?
(笑)好的。你这种工作就是在地面上指挥的,你们也是轮班的?

Yes.
轮班的。

Do you need to wait for the ship to come, like today, or you can go home when the working time is over?
像今天这种情况你就要一直等那个船的话,是会延迟轮班还是就是到了时间你就(下班)?

(In Cantonese) We can leave when the shift is over.
(粤语)到了时间就走的啦。

I see. Then when are you leaving?
到时间就走?你今天到几点啊?

We usually works from 8 am to 8 pm.
一般都是八点到八点。

So you can leave at 8 o'clock?
就是你是到今晚八点?

(In Cantonese) Right. If we don't have any task to do, we can leave ahead of time, like 5 o'clock.
(粤语)对。没事做就提前下班,五点钟就可以下班了。

But I think the ship is coming at around 4 o'clock.
不过那个船应该四点钟就能进来。

It is hard to say. There is no indication that the ship is coming.
不一定,现在还没动。

No indication?
还没动?

Yes. It hasn't been tugged. Even if it is tugged, it still needs 40 to 50 minutes to get here. Now it has been 3 o'clock.
对啊,它还没有拖轮。它动的话到这里也要四五十分钟,现在都三点多了。

Now the ship is at the other side of the mountain?
在山的那头?

(In Cantonese) Right over the gate.
(粤语)就在关口边。

This kind of ship cannot dock without the help of tugboats.
它没有拖轮那种船不敢进来的。

They cannot dock themselves?
它停不了,靠不了边?

Right. Even if they can, they may crash.
对,靠不了。靠得了也怕撞。

(In Cantonese) Such large ships are not allowed to dock without tugboats.
(粤语)它这种XX是不允许单独这么大条船进来港口的。

Actually it cannot dock because if it do so, it may crash, right? (In English) They were just talking that they work from 8 o'clock in the morning to 8 o'clock at night. This is today.
其实也进不了了,会撞是吧?(英语)他们说早上八点工作到晚上八点。这只是今天而已。

(In Cantonese) Actually you can dock the ship if you are skillful enough.
(粤语)其实有技术一样停得了。以前XXX...

(In English) But if the ship comes...
(英语)但如果船来了...

(In English) Yeah. But the ship is still not there.
(英语)是的,但那艘船现在还不在这里。

(In English) But will it come today? The ship is coming?
(英语)但这艘船今天总会来的吧?

(In English) Yes, it's coming. (In Chinese) The ship will come today, won't it?
(英语)是的,船差不多来了。(中文)那个船今天总会进来吧?

Yes, it will.
今天总会进来的。

(In Cantonese) Yes, it will.
(粤语)会的,会进来的。

(In English) And in terms of his work, how much time did it take to do the training?
(英语)关于他的工作...他之前培训了多久?

(In English) Yeah, how do they do the training?
(英语)是的,他怎么培训的?

(In English) You mean training the control skill?
(英语)你指培训指挥吗?

(In English) Yeah, how much training did he do?
(英语)是的,他培训了多久?

So... how much time did it take to do the training when you start to work here? As you said, you received training before.
你在最早做这个,就是开始做这个的时候,当时的培训大概持续了多久?就是培训,不是说有一个练习教你们怎么做的?

(In Cantonese) A couple of days or so.
(粤语)也有几天吧。

Just a couple of days?
就几天?

(In Cantonese) These skills are easy to master.
(粤语)这些很容易上手的。

Easy to master? But you have to be careful, right?
很容易上手?但是就是要细心咯?

(In Cantonese) That's true. We must be careful. Anyway, the veteran will accompany you to work at first.
(粤语)是啊,要细心。有一个专业人员会陪你一起做。

Accompany you? At the beginning?
一起做?一开始的时候?

(In Cantonese) Yes. The veteran have to teach the freshmen.
(粤语)是。要带他做嘛。

Will you teach freshmen now?
现在你们会不会带新来的人?

(In Cantonese) Yes.
(粤语)可以啊。

You also teach freshmen, right? Which is to say, the newcomer have to learn the skills from you?
你们也会带新来的人?就是新来的人也会跟你们学习?

(In Cantonese) I have to teach them so they work with me.
(粤语)新来的那些,我要训练他们,他们就跟着我(工作)。

Do you still employ new workers regularly? Or most workers just stay the same?
那现在会持续地有新人进来吗?还是人员变动并不是特别大?

(In Cantonese) There is no big personnel change this year.
(粤语)今年人员变动不是很强。

That's good.
人员变动不是很强?那就好。

You are married, aren't you?
你结婚了,是吧?

(In Cantonese) I am over 30 years old. I am old, maybe older than you.
(粤语)我三十多岁。很老的了。可能比你年纪更大?

You are older than me. But you are not really that old.
是比我大。三十几岁也没有多老。

(In Cantonese) They are all over 40.
(粤语)他们都四十了。

That's not too old for me. As I see it, the word "old" is used for the 60 or 70.
那也没多老,我看老了都六十七十。

(In Cantonese) This is my good friend. He usually have meals with us. Which kind of tea is better? Yours? Then we'll try yours.
(粤语)这个是我的老朋友,平时他也是跟我们一起吃饭的。哪种好喝一点啊?你的好喝一点吗?那就先喝你的。

Do you have off-season and peak season here?
你们在码头上工作有没有淡季旺季?

The peak season lasts almost one year. Now is what we called off-season.
今年差不多全年都是旺季。不是旺季就是像这样子。

This is like the peak season?
旺季就这样?

(In Cantonese) Usually we have many large ships. You can have a look. This is the date records of ships.
(粤语)有很多大船的,给你看看吧。这个就是船的日期分配。

(In Cantonese) Large ships.
(粤语)大船。

What do you usually ship? What kind of goods exactly?
你们一般都运什么?主要类型是什么样的货物?

(In Cantonese) Well, mostly foreign trade. We ship all kinds of goods, such as china, electronic devices, air-conditioner, anything you can name. But we have domestic trade and foreign trade.
(粤语)我们现在主要是外贸,各方面,陶瓷、瓷片什么都有,总之说得出的都有。电子品牌、空调什么都有。因为我们码头是分内贸和外贸的嘛。

So it makes no difference for you to ship different goods?
无论是什么样的货物,对你们来说都没什么差别?

(In Cantonese) No difference.
(粤语)没什么差别。一视同仁。

I think your work and life is quite regular, like, working several hours each day.
所以这样的工作生活还是挺规律的?今天工作几个小时,明天工作几个小时。

(In Cantonese) Yes. We may be busier when large ships come. If we don't have tasks, we may drink tea and sleep for a while. Like today, I am on duty but I don't have specific tasks to do. Although the working time is 12 hours, we have more freedom to do what we want.
(粤语)是啊。有大船来就比较忙一点,比如我现在,这两天我也是上班的,没事做就在这里喝喝茶,或者睡觉。有事做就做。说就是说(工作)十二个小时,其实这里比较自由。

Actually..XXX
就实际上XXX

I went to Hebao Island this year, during the Mid-Autumn Festival.
今年我还去过荷包岛呢。中秋的时候去过荷包岛。

(In Cantonese) You? From which place?
(粤语)你啊?从哪里过来啊?

Guangzhou.
从广州那边过来。

Hebao Island...is not as beautiful as the beach of Gaolan Island is. Really.
荷包岛……还不够我们以前高栏岛的那个沙滩漂亮。真的不够。

Does it still exist?
现在还有吗?

No. It becomes oil depots... Some ports are movable while some others are not.
没有了。全部发展成油库了...有的港区有活动性的就没事,有些就是没活动性的。

It is tighten. As long as it is loosen, it will...
很紧,一松就会“pia”...

Hit something else.
就打过来了。

Does anyone playing basketball yesterday operate forklift or truck?
昨天打球的人有控制什么叉车、开卡车什么的吗?

Forlift and truck...
叉车卡车啊...

Anyone?
昨天打球里面有吗?

I got one operating the crane.
有一个是开轮吊的。

Crane? Is he here today?
有一个是开轮吊的?他今天在吗?

Yes.
他今天在。
Pad.ma requires JavaScript.